Tuesday, October 16, 2012

TOURETTE SYNDROME

A year or so ago my two year old was diagnosed with a tic disorder after he began to squint his face up uncontrollably. This happened if he got upset, was tired, or just wasn't feeling well. 

For the last couple of months my son, who is now four years old, has developed a vocal tic on top of the motor tic. He makes noises that sound similar to him swallowing air really hard. sort of like clearing his throat, but not exactly.

I've done my research online and every sign points to tourette syndrome. He has the vocal and motor tics both, and have had them both happen in the last few months. I made him a doctors appointment for tomorrow. I really hope this is not the case. I don't even know how to handle a child with a disorder. I supposed this is how every parent feels when they are facing a struggle like this.

I'm finding it extremely difficult to even potty train him. If he gets the least bit upset, his tics come out and that makes him even more stressed out. I feel lost. I don't know where to turn or what to do. 

If any of you guys have any info or just plain old support. That would be awesome. My comment box is always open.

~ out for now ~ CALLIE

2 comments:

  1. One of my uncle is physically challenged and my grandma(his mother) told us once that she was lucky she had him because God chooses only the best parents to look after the challenged because He knows they'll do the best job with them.
    It was some 8 years ago that she said that and I was just 13. But the impact of that sentence still is fresh in my memory.
    I'm sure you'll be a great parent. Relax. :)

    +Not Just My Allegories+

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 3 little ones. The first, has anger issues. The second is allergic to everything including every type of medicine out there. and now the youngest having these tics. Sometimes I wonder why all of my children are not as healthy as they could have been. I guess sometimes, these things just happen. We gotta roll with it and make the best of it. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete